Friday, September 2, 2016

The Definition of Love

I was preparing a lesson for my little Beehives last week. The topics we are supposed to talk about this month is marriage and family. The thought of trying to prepare a lesson on this topic as a single person didn't really sit well with me. I came across this talk by Elder Richard G. Scott. The Eternal Blessings of Marriage that was in one of the lessons. I used this talk to get the girls thinking about what love really is and what it means.

I think there are a lot of messed up messages out in the world and this was confirmed as I was listening to Pandora and the song, "Jessie's Girl" came on. One of the lines in the song says, "I've been funny; I've been cool with the lines. Ain't that the way love's supposed to be?" I laughed out loud when I contrasted that definition of love with Elder Scott's. It would be one thing if that was the only song with confusing lyrics about love but my Beehives were able to share a few other lyrics that had similar themes. The only thing I can determine is that the adversary has waged a war on love.

I had the girls all listen to the talk for expressions of love. They were able to easily rattle off 12 examples before we had to end the class due to being over time but I am sure they could have listed quite a few more. I saw their long lists.

With all the definitions out there, my vote is with Elder Scott's. I feel like he has the best definition and his life is an example of that. No one can call him a hypocrite on the subject if you ask me. In the words of Marie Doutre, "He is an export."

No comments: