Sunday, January 28, 2018

Vengeance is Mine!

I guess I feel like I have partially written about this topic before here, but the scripture is on my mind again. It is on my mind because I was wronged by a friend recently who promised me their expensive sofa sectional. I am not one who just likes to take things from people without offering something in return, but it was still offered to me and I was planning to take them up on their offer. Then when I was trying to make plans to pick it up, I was told that it was sold to someone else and they were going to get a trip to Hawaii out of the deal.

I guess you could say I felt betrayed and confused. Now I was going to have to shell out $1000 to get my own sofa and chairs for my new home. When I pointed out to this person that they hadn't really been fair with me they responded with a couple of angry text messages about how it was all my fault and I had no right to be angry. Seemed a little passive aggressive and perhaps a little bi-polar. I just decided not to respond.

I had previously mentioned to a few of my friends that I was offered a free sectional and now I was going to have to go out and look for another option.  These loyal friends seemed to get more angry than I was about the situation. Honestly I don't like taking things from people without offering something in return because there is always an expectation that you owe them something, somehow whether it is money, loyalty or whatever your imagination can conger.

Well, it took four days but this person did finally apologize. They offered to take me couch shopping or I could hit them and either or both of those options were available to me. I was just grateful that they saw their error. I can't say I haven't made mistakes before. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I do not want to be a hypocrite. I have done stupid things in the past. So when they apologized, it took me a few days but I decided to forgive.

Well not my friends. They are still angry and they don't want to talk about, see or talk to this person. I on the other hand am over it. Sure the trust is gone and that will take time to rebuild, but I don't know what the point is in trying to punish this person.

One scripture tells me to let it go Mormon 8:20. Why does this scripture help me? It tells me that I can let go of revenge. It tells me that if there is any revenge necessary, He will take care of it. He will repay. When God says he will do something he will do something. I can just leave it in his very capable hands. He will also do the judging, because usually us mortals are terrible at it anyway.

The one thing I failed to tell this friend is, perhaps they should worry about making it right with God if they haven't done so already. I am over it. Now I just have to worry about getting my friends to let it go.

No comments: