I am getting really tired of bad DJs. The last three dances I have gone to have had BAD DJs. For those of you who are not sure what makes a bad DJ, let me explain. A bad DJ plays lots of music that has too slow of a beat to really get your grove on or they play techno music, which for me is totally not dancer friendly. I guess it works for robots but NOT ME! They also don’t take any requests so you have no chance of even getting one good song to dance to. They play music that is overplayed all over the radio. They also sit behind their tables and wait for their playlist to run through on the computer. They are not dancers themselves, they are just there to get paid. When I made my request to the last DJ he responded with, “I’ll see if I can work it into the mix”. I would have preferred if he just said no, so I could leave and not waste my time with him.
A good DJ on the other hand will play non-offensive music that has a fast enough beat to actually dance to. They are found behind their tables dancing themselves, or at LEAST nodding their heads and tapping their feet to the beat because the music moves them. The best DJs are the ones who can’t stay behind their tables because they want to be out with the crowd getting their grove on. They play music with words so people can air-mic it and pretend to be rock stars. They also have paper out for you to write down your request but reserve the right to not play your songs because they know from experience that they are not crowd pleasers. This is my plan going forward. The next time I go to a dance, if I don’t see the signs of a good DJ, I am going to bust out my iPod and do my own thing. Most DJs at least have good lighting and effects even if they don’t know how to select good music. That will be my way of telling them they could work on their skills without getting in their faces. I also think it is a better alternative to sitting Indian style in the middle of the dance floor in protest, which I have been known to do in the past. I might look like a freak show who fails to move with the crowd but I am just beyond the point of caring about such things anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment