Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Christmas Reform?


It is the beginning of September, so why is my mind already thinking about Christmas?  Maybe because it is stressful and I try to get myself geared up for it?  Monday night I had a crazy idea.  I wondered if I could have a commercial shopping free Christmas.  This would mean that I wouldn’t get up at 4:00am on black Friday to do any shopping. Sorry Cate!

Would my friends and family think I was lame?  This would NOT mean that I was unable to give gifts at all this just means that I would have to make the gifts I gave or find ways to offer service. This would mean I would probably be making a LOT of dried fruit and earrings.  I could also give hours of service like haircuts, back rubs, babysitting service.  I think I could do it, but should I?

I would of course still send out my personalized Christmas card and I would still have to buy fruit to dry and pay postage for some things I need to send.  I can think of some that would have a hard time with it like the little ones but I think that we could work out something.  I will have to think a little bit more about it and if I decide to go through with it I will have to give everyone a heads up.  This isn’t because I am dirt poor; I am just tired of collecting stuff.  I have too much stuff and I don’t want any more stuff and when people give stuff they expect stuff in return.  I also think that the gift card shuffle is a bit of a joke too.  I give you a Petco gift card and you give me a Trader Joe’s gift card.  It is just silliness. You get me? 

I remember there was a family I knew back in Minnesota and they were LDS but their mother was a convert from Judaism.  She said that growing up they never got presents for Christmas and that on Christmas they had a birthday cake for Jesus.  I think that may be taking it a little far for me.  While the idea is sweet, I don’t eat cake and everyone is overloaded with sweets anyway.  I just think that Jesus is probably a little disappointed with how out of control things have gotten on the day we are supposedly celebrating his birthday.  I found this picture online…
 I just thought it was funny but a little extreme in my opinion though. 

No comments: