I just finished watching my favorite Memorial Day movie. It is called "The Medal". It is the story of many who have won the Congressional Medal of Honor and tells what they did to earn it. The Medal of Honor is the United States of America's highest military honor, awarded for personal acts of valor above and beyond the call of duty. It was created to give recognition to men who distinguished themselves "conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity" in combat with an enemy of the United States. Many of the people who received the medal gave their lives to save the lives of others. I am always inspired every time I see it. They have truly lost themselves in the service of others and all seem to claim that they were only "doing their jobs". I always feel good watching it because I see examples of truly amazing people who stand up to do what is right in this world that seems to be going so wrong.
They do a very good job showing how we have failed to recognize real heroes in this country. Right now we just idolize people on TV, in movies or in sports. There are so many who look to these people and they want to become just like them. It just goes to show how far off we are from the many values this country was founded on. I for one am truly grateful for my freedom and for all who have paid the price for me to have it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment