Our morning keynote speaker was Rudy Ruettiger. He was the man that the movie Rudy was based on. He said that he worked for 10 years trying to get that movie made. It was nice to hear that he joined the church six months ago and he seems to be doing well in his membership. He said that we should never preach with our words, only with our actions. That is what he always told the missionaries that were teaching him.
Someone asked him when he became a dreamer, I suppose because the movie is in large measure about chasing your dreams. He said that you have to be really careful who you share your dreams with because people will try to tell you that they are unrealistic and that you can never accomplish what you want. He said that he was in the navy with a guy who never doubted his dreams and never asked why he had dreams, he only asked when he planned to accomplish his dreams. It really made me think how often I have doubted my dreams and never set dates to accomplish my dreams. We waste too much time with out doubts and inactivity until the chance is past.
My roommate had Rudy saved on Plex so I watched it last night. Yes, that was the first time I had ever watched that movie. There really is something to be said about chasing your dreams and putting in the hard work. It is also nice to see the people that believed in Rudy and encouraged him along the way, amid so many who doubted him.
Then I heard from Janine Gilbert on the deliberate life, writing your own story. I may share more about what she had to say after she emails me back with the quotes she used in her presentation.
I then listened to Matt Townsend and I am pretty sure he was my favorite speaker. He recorded both of his messages and they can be found here and here. He also told us that he shared a message for the Church through Hope Works...
I attended the second session which he told us was the best anyway. He really packed a lot of information into his presentation. The thing I left thinking about the most was, when I am making decisions, am I making them with my spiritual self, my mental self or my physical self. He talked about how there can be no confusion when we are in the presence of The Father or The Son and we need to make sure we are making decisions with our spirits because that is the state we have been in longer than the body. He also talked about how much God just wants us to love each other and how hard it is for him when we fight and hurt each other. At least that is what I got out of it.
He also made me scratch my head when he said that The Adversary is the father of our minds. He said that when Adam and Eve partook of the fruit, their eyes were opened. He was the one who helped initiate that process. I suppose as such he is constantly trying to manipulate our minds. This is why it is so important to make decisions with our spirits. The adversary just likes to confuse us and the members of the Godhead just want to illuminate us. There were also plenty of laughs in the classes and I am so grateful that he shares so much with so many for little or no cost.
That is all for now, I just have to get back to finding a job now that I am feeling settled back in Salt Lake City. Whahooooo!

No comments:
Post a Comment