Friday, August 22, 2014

Best Interview EVER!

I had a job interview yesterday and I have to say it was very refreshing. I knew all three of the people interviewing me they all work on the same floor I do. It was Kelly, a man whose secretary I would become, Mike, the Director of S&I HR and Karen, the retiring woman who's place I would be taking.

The interview started with hearing Kelly tell me how great I am and how much I am appreciated for all the work I do. He told me that almost 200 people applied, and of those 200 they are interviewing 12. I was told that I was in the top of those 12 that they wanted to interview for sure. That was all really unexpected. Usually people go to interviews and the focus is usually on your weaknesses and liabilities. 

During the interview I gave an example of a time that I had a conflict with someone at work. Then Mike said, "That is actually a really good example." Sometimes it is hard to think on your feet so I am glad that I was able to come up with something good.

Then when I was leaving for the day I just happened to ride the elevator with Mike. Right away he said, "You did well today." I wasn't really thinking I had much of a shot at this job but after all the positive feedback, now it seems a little more promising. The issue is that I am not a secretary, I am a finance person, even though I do a fare share of secretarial work.  I know of two other secretaries on my floor who have applied and have interviews.

Well perhaps all this buttering up was just to let me down easy when they give the job to someone else. Kelly is very good at passing out compliments and this isn't the first time he has paid me a nice compliment for the work that I do. The other question I ask myself is, "Do people like this make it a habit of giving out compliments because they hope that people will live up to all the praise they are given?" Honestly I don't feel like I deserve their kindness but it does make me want to live up to what they say. Perhaps I shouldn't question the kindness of others, but this has all made me think, it also makes me want to work more with people like that.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

You are awesome and you should just accept that :) People praise you because you are a good worker! I am excited to see what happens...

Lisha said...

Ahhh Brooke... What would I do without good friends like you?