Monday, October 20, 2014

I Thought I was Healthy...

Yep, I used to think that I was healthy.  Plenty of my friends and coworkers have told me that I am the healthiest person they know.  Well, the reality is that, that is just sad.  As I have been reading my newest favorite book on health, I am learning how I am not really THAT healthy. This was all confirmed a few months ago when I ended up in the doctors office with a struggling liver. I got a ultrasound and blood work done twice, and as usual, the doctor couldn't tell me what was wrong or what I could do about it.
The bottom line for me is that happiness plays a much bigger role for me than making my taste buds happy for a few minutes. I would much rather eat kale today than suffer in a hospital bed years later.  I guess it all depends on how you define quality of life. Many (No I am going to go with Most) people I know feel like their quality of life is severely diminished when they can't indulge in their favorite comfort foods. But for me, I feel like my quality of life is the lowest when I am sick in bed, void of energy, unable to get out and be active, tired all the time, dealing with body aches, indigestion, or an inability to focus. It is the age old dilemma, do you want to be happy now or later?

Then I think about that, and that really isn't the right question because, eating healthy doesn't have to be torture. Change is hard period. It is hard to try to eat new foods. You will suffer withdrawal and feel deprived. I am pretty sure I am going through that right now on this new diet. But the good news is that when you eat healthy, you start to enjoy it. You start to feel better and of course you start looking better, and who really doesn't want that? You are sick less. Who doesn't want that? You save money in the doctor's office.  Who doesn't want that?

Dr. Joel Fuhrman's whole premise is that if you give your body the nutrients it needs then it can heal itself. Sadly, few of us get the nutrients our bodies need, so our hunger gets out of control and we end up overweight, sick, depressed and miserable. Then we are all left wondering why God has cursed us and why we can never be happy? Sadly the answers are all out there we just haven't known where to look. If you suffer from or would like to prevent obesity, migraines, heart disease, diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, auto immune disorders, osteoporosis, aging, depression, anxiety, arthritis, hypertension, hypoglycemia, constipation, cancer, kidney disease, liver disease or a host of other common ailments that have exploded in our modern times then you should do yourself a favor and read this book. I first came across his book when I watched this video.

It all just makes sense to me, and this guy is a real doctor. He isn't some quack trying to sell you something. I started to read his 400 page book and honestly, I couldn't put it down for long. I finished it in five days when I didn't think I was going to have anymore time to read books before I start back to school. I don't like to push good health on anyone BUT I will tell you that this book is the best one I have read so far and I have read my fare share of books on health. I haven't been on this diet for long but I can tell you that I am already seeing some benefits and perhaps I will have more good news to report later.

No comments: