I have decided that I am only going to post things this month that I am grateful for. I have spent so much time reading about how much happier we are when we are grateful and I also just feel that I have a lot to be grateful for. I am sure if I wanted to I could come up with a list of things I want to be different in my life, but on the whole my life is pretty good and I would rather focus on the positive things and keep a positive outlook. So here are some things I have to be grateful for...
My house-I love my house. It is so perfect for me right now. It is in an area I like. It is right on the bus route so I don't have to walk far in the cold or transfer busses and I save a TON of money in gas. My place has all the space I need. I don't need to care for the lawn or shovel the walks. I have a covered parking spot so I rarely have to scrape my car. I love how updated it is and how I haven't had to put much work into it. I love that I have had very few repairs to make and that the appliances are all newer and updated. I love my furniture and that I was able to pick it out and that for the most part it wasn't some hand me down from an old roommate (some of it was). I love my quilt on my bed and how I wanted it SO bad but didn't want to pay $120 for it at BBB and then I found it at Tuesday morning months later for $60 and I even found a matching pillow in the pillows section. I love that I have a spare room with my exercise equipment and my computer in it so I have plenty of space in my bedroom. I am also pretty excited about the prospect of having it all paid off in 15 years or less.
My ward- I love my bishop. Every time he speaks to us, I can tell how much he cares for us and loves to serve us. I love my Relief Society president Mandi. She cracks me up every week with her dating advice. She is also perky (in a good way) and she is tons of fun to hang out with. I can tell how much she loves to serve us and see that we are all happy in our lives.
My institute class- I love my institute teacher. She says things every week that I need to hear. often times I feel like she has prepared her lesson just for me. I always pick up little gems of wisdom from her life and I feel like she has walked in my shoes and has been through a lot of the trails I have faced. Some may think she is too blunt and matter of fact but I need those things in my life. I need someone to help take all the gray areas and make them more black and white. There are too many gray areas and who wants more gray? I want more clarity and peace in my life not more confusion and doubt.
My job- I have worked here over eight years. How many people can say that. It is very rare that people find a job that is in line with there values. I love what I am contributing to. I feel that the work I do is important and meaningful and valuable. I feel like I am respected and treated fairly. I feel like I am encouraged to progress. I feel that my thoughts and opinions are appreciated. I don't dread coming into work. I love our devotionals and our inservices and so many great people that I work with. It is hard to think about ever leaving this place. If I do it will have to be for a very good reason.
My car- It is fast and has a lot more power than I am used to. It is a convertible so I can put the top down and try to pretend that I am cool in the summer. It has had few repairs if any. I can't seem to think of doing much more to it than changing the oil. It is completely reliable and the best part is that I got an AMAZING deal on it. I think the dealership price was about $8000 and I scored it for $4500.
My family- They are awesomely supportive. They really care about me and what is happening in my life. They always want me to come and visit and when I do they fight over how much time they get to spend with me. When you know someone for 37 years you get to know them really well.
My friends- My friends are probably the biggest thing that kept me from moving to Hawaii. I have so many friends that understand me and that I can relate to. They listen and they care and they help me to see that I matter to them. How lonely and miserable I would be without them in my life.
School- I have just started school on November 1st and I think I will have my first two classes done at the end of this week. So far my studies have been pretty interesting. I am learning about organizational behavior and business law. The classes haven't been boring so far and I love that I get to study on my own time and at my own pace. At the rate I am going I could finish this degree within 6 months but I may just kill myself trying that so I will just do all the work I can and see how fast I can get things done. Either way, I feel really good about it and I seem to be doing a good job absorbing the information I need. All the roadblocks I have experienced with school in the past have been removed at WGU. I have tons of support from the school (sometimes it is a little much) and now I am just kicking myself for not starting sooner.
Great vacations- I have been able to go to Hawaii 3 times in the last 3 years. How many people can say that? I got to visit Heather in Houston. I am heading to MN this year and Arizona next year. I am very grateful to have the means to travel. It is nice to have something that makes my married friends a little jealous.
My health- I am so grateful that I read that book "Eat to Live", especially before I started school. It has been so helpful and I have with few exceptions started the nutritarian diet. I feel like I have more energy than I have had in the past. My brain focuses better, my skin is smoother, my digestion functions better, my allergies are better, and my moods are more stable and upbeat. I also have been waking up more refreshed and with more energy. Is it worth it? YES! Perhaps it is a little too soon to be praising this diet but the bottom line is I am feeling better and I am hopeful for the future. I feel like if I go back to my doctor in a few months for a blood test, he'll be surprised by how much better my numbers look.
Good food- I still love avocados, squash and blueberries but I have been eating a lot of foods that I haven't had in a long time and with much greater variety, like almonds, lentils, and black beans. I have also started to eat Ezekiel bread and tried a bunch of new greens that I never would have tried otherwise. I am hopeful that I will be able to add more and more foods to my diet as my body adjusts. In the history of the world we have never had greater access to a greater variety of good tasting and nutritious foods.
God- As I look back on my life I can see God's hand in it over and over again. He has led be to people that have had very positive influences on me. I have had tests and trials and I am grateful that God has found me worthy to put me through them. He has been there for me whether I noticed or not. Although there have been periods of darkness he has always led me out of them. At key times I have felt his love for me. I am so grateful for my knowledge and understanding of him.
Jesus- I am so grateful for his love and his example. I am grateful that he suffered willingly for me. I am grateful that he chose to do the father's will. Even though he was completely obedient his life was hard. He didn't see immediate rewards or blessings during his life but I am sure he has them now. He opened up people's minds and hearts and spoke truth, regardless of how hard it might have been for some to hear it and yet he spoke in parables so that not everyone would be held accountable for what he said. He paved the way to our happiness. He is ever willing to take upon himself our sins and help us change.
Holy Ghost- I certainly can't forget about him. He brings me peace when I need it. He puts ideas and inspiration in my head. He confirms good choices and guides me at key points in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment